Friday, October 28, 2011

The Idaho Cold Begins

Okay, I can deal with early fall, when the days cool off just a bit, but I really have a hard time with the fall in general.  It means that blessed summer is coming to a close, no more warm evenings out in the backyard talking with Mr. Spud; no more blissful morning or evening walks.  In this part of Idaho the beautiful, fun part of fall lasts about two days.  Early this week I was thinking how fun it was to see the trees with their colorful leaves, then the night time temps went down to the 20s and all the trees decided it was too hard to keep up the pretense.  The dropped their leaves en masse.  When I took our spudlets to school this morning I felt very grateful for our garage, I looked at the cars with thick frost and a small spot scraped out for a driver to see through.  Winter is coming, summer has died.  Idaho winters are long and cold.  There is some beauty in it all, to be sure.  But I will miss summer and try not to think about how far away the spring will be.   Hold on, the Idaho Cold has officially arrived and methinks it is here to stay.

No comments: