Friday, November 9, 2012

Election Doom and Gloom, but not really



As we all know, this past Tuesday was election day here in the USA.  It seems every year political campaigns get worse and worse and meaner and meaner.  After the election we are all supposed to forget that the candidates attacked each other relentlessly and just move on and put our full support behind the winning candidates.  But people are not really like that, they can't just forget all the meanness, all the attack ads, all the unkind words and mudslinging and move on fully supporting the winner.  This is amply evidenced on Facebook.  There are lots of people who are very upset that their candidate did not win and who are even feeling like the country is doomed.  Their friends attack them because they have such bad feelings about the winner and the political rancor continues well past the election.
 
I will admit that I am personally disappointed in the results of the Presidential election.  I would have preferred to see Mitt Romney win.  I like Mitt, I like who he is and I like what I have seen him do.  He really did turn the Salt Lake Olympics around, I watched it happen and I really believe he could have done the same thing for the economy in the nation.  I was sad to see him lose.  But I do not believe President Obama is horrible.  I do not agree with him politically, but I do believe he truly wants to bring people together to achieve something good for our country.  I, like most Americans, am very worried about the fiscal cliff, the long economic recession, the problems with education and healthcare and the list goes on.  These are serious problems and it is going to take many leaders working together to find solutions and come together and find some kind of common ground to do hard things for the common good for us to get out of any of these problems.  It could be overwhelming, it could seem like it is an impossible task and it would be easy to just give up and be depressed and mad about the election, but that isn't going to help.

Gordon B. Hinckley, a past president of my Church, said, “Things work out, it isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out, don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in him, if we will pray to him, if we will live worthy of his blessings, he will hear our prayers.” 

I believe this.  I believe that in the end it will all work out.  I believe that because I know in whom I can put my trust.  And I trust that the Being who is really in charge of this earth is really in charge of making sure that everything will be right in the end.  For now, all I can do is do my best, try my hardest and hope that President Obama and senators and congressmen will do the same.  When we say, "God bless America,"  it really isn't a command, it is a request and I will continue to pray for the request to be fulfilled.  Don't worry, my friends, if you are upset about the election results, or even if you were elated by the results, everything is going to work out.  I'm not saying that everyone can just forget the campaigns or their concerns or whatever and just support people they don't like.  I can't support a leader who is doing horrible things.  But I can hope for the best, and trust God.  

1 comment:

stampinjul said...

Follow the prophet, he knows the way! Great post, I sooooo agree with you! I personally think there are bigger and better things awaiting us, if we listen to the counsel we've received at conference, we will be happy! "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear"